Accident Repair Centre in Portsmouth

Thursday 4 April 2013

Car insurance doubled after 'phantom crash'


A pensioner said his car insurance premium doubled after a "phantom crash" with a bus.

Mike Brown, 69, received a call in May 2011 from his insurers Toyota to say he had been involved in the collision two months earlier.
(ABP - the date is correct, however the story has only been released today.)

When he dismissed it they apologised, only to ring back three weeks later saying they had CCTV of the incident on March 18.

The insurers said his Toyota Avensis pulled out from a bay in front of a First bus causing it to brake hard.

They said as a result a passenger on the bus had gone to hospital four days after the incident and undergone medical treatment for an eye injury.

Mr Brown lives near the site of the alleged accident so accepted in good faith that if there was CCTV it must have happened.

"I could not possibly remember whether I had been in that area two months ago," Mr Brown said.

"I trusted that if they were saying it was my car on the CCTV then it must be but wish I hadn't now. I had no recollection of the incident.

"When I apply for insurance now my driving record says I pulled out in front of a bus and hit a third party.

"That certainly is not the case. I accept that it's possible I was there but even if I was I certainly didn't hit or get hit by another vehicle.

"If I was involved in an accident there is no way that I would not have stopped at the scene for a start.

"I am cross that I didn't insist on seeing the CCTV. I have asked for statements from the scene because I would expect the police, ambulance and the bus driver to have reported it but I have had nothing."

The resulting claim was for £7,748.

Mr Brown, who has driven for almost 50 years, added: "Now when I search for insurance the incident always comes up and I am given much higher quotations that are sometimes double what they used to be.

"I feel like I have been in a phantom crash that is costing me a fortune."

A spokesman for Toyota Motor Insurance said: "An incident occurred on March 18, 2011 which resulted in CCTV footage being sent to Toyota Insurance via a bus company as a result of a passenger sustaining injury when one of their buses had to execute an emergency stop.

"The policy holder involved was contacted by letter explaining the circumstances and how he could view this footage at his local bus depot to see the incident for himself.

"No contact took place between the two vehicles.

"Liability could not be disputed on the basis of clear visual evidence from the event and another witness.

"A claim was subsequently settled and as with any motor insurance policy on the market today the premium will increase for the policy holder in such circumstances."